The requirements for shipping specimens in this category must adhere to the regulations detailed by the DOT and IATA triple packaging requirements. Category B packaging requires a marking (or label) as indicated below in accordance with IATA Packing Instruction 650 requirements:
Part No. 54752 (3 1/2″ x 4″)
IATA label for Biological Substance, Category B
(click here for other shipping labels)
In addition to the Category B marking label, below is a summary of other packaging requirements found in IATA Packing Instruction 650 for UN3373 Biological Substance Category B shipping systems:
- Leak-proof primary receptacle(s)*
- Leak-proof secondary packaging*
- Absorbent of sufficient quantity to absorb the entire contents of the primary receptacle(s) must be placed between the primary and secondary packaging.
- Rigid outer packaging (a box) with at least one surface having a minimum dimension of 100mm x 100mm
- All packages must pass a drop test as outlined in the IATA requirements.
*either the primary or secondary receptacle must be capable of passing the 95kPa internal pressure test.
Therapak Biological Substance Category B Packaging Selection
Therapak offers a range of certified packages for shipping Category B specimens based on the temperature sensitivity of the specimen payload. Please choose from the links below depending on transport conditions to select the shipping system most appropriate for your specimen type.
Individual Specimen Shipping Components